Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Long weekend

Well folks, I am back. I had a wonderfully long weekend that I got to enjoy with my lovely wife. We headed off Thursday morning for Asheville, NC. On the way we stopped by Chimney Rock, NC. It is a great park to visit if you ever get the urge. We climbed to the top of the rock to take in the spectacular view. While we were there taking pictures and enjoying the breeze, a plane felw by. Under us! By the looks of it and my limited knowledge of airplanes, it looked like a C-130. Who knows. I will ask my father-in-law since he is more keen on these things. We hiked over to the waterfall and sat under it to relax. Once we took in the sights it was on to Asheville.

We arrived at our campground and got right to our tent site. That's right, we camped. 2 nights in the woods for us. Luckily, the campground had hot showers and private bathrooms. It was a really nice place to stay. We set up camp and then we cooked dinner on the fire pit. After that we cleaned up and just sat around the fire til about 10. Then we walked to the bathhouse and got ready for sleepytime.

Daybreak comes early when you sleep outdoors. I woke up around 6:30-7:00 and tried to keep quiet so Jessica could keep sleeping. We finally got up and had cornmeal pancakes, sausage links, and hot chocolate. Not bad for camping. My wife is getting good with a camp stove. We cleaned up then got ready to head down to Asheville. We had a great lunch with some of Jessica's friends and then we went downtown. Asheville has so many cool plces to shop and hang out. We had a really great time. Plus I had a Guinness cupcake!

After walking around downtown for a while, we decided to head back to camp. We went and got a pizza for dinner. Now I have had quite the number of misspellings of my last name, but Pizza Hut gets the prize. The cashier asked Jessica for our last name and she said "Thommarson". We waited for the pizza and it was ready in about 10 minutes. When we picked it up it read "Tomberson". A+ for that one.

We ate our pizza then sat around the camfire eating s'mores and talking. Then I decided it would be fun to burn my finger on my newawesometotallyrad lantern I got from my wife. It is fun to make sure you can still feel pain every once ina while (NOT!). We cleaned up and got ready for bed.

The next morning we hiked around the campground before we had to pack up and leave. I don't know if it is like this for everyone, but hiking sure feels like you are gone forever, but in reality it's only about 20 minutes. We packed up the car and headed home for Durham.

THe rest of the weekend we hung out with the Dysons (Saturday night) and went to church (summitRDU.com) and just relaxed. We did do some chores on Monday but they were needed. Oh, and Sunday was my birthday. I feel older.

I love long weekends!

No comments: